The Mega Millions® Drawings are conducted under rigid security procedures.
Drawings are held at WSB-TV studio in Atlanta, Georgia, every Tuesday and Friday at 11:00 p.m., Eastern time. Many things go into a successful Mega Millions drawing.
- The drawing machines and ball sets for each game are randomly selected and certified by outside auditors, to ensure that balls and equipment allow each number an equal chance of being drawn.
- Each Lottery drawing machine and ball set used goes through a series of pre-drawing tests to ensure the absolute randomness of the results.
- Post-drawing tests are conducted as part of the certification process.
- Two draw officials who are lottery employees and one member of an independent auditing firm administer tests.
- In addition to these measures, all of these steps are videotaped to further ensure the integrity of the process.
- All draw equipment is securely maintained with limited access to draw officials only.
The entire process takes approximately three hours for a drawing that takes less than 60 seconds.